Saturday, September 16, 2006

September 16, 2006

Another day of beautiful water with the exception of the last three hours. It got pretty rolling and I don't think either of us was very comfortable. Decided when we reach Charlevoix that we would keep going until we got to Frankfort. Bad weather predicted for the next few days and decided that we would rather be here in Frankfort.
Another on the water repair when the anchor door popped open and broke the latch. Did we buy a boat or a FORD???? Oh that's right....we bought a Cruiser!!!
A very long day since we went a bit further than predicted. Seven and one half hours is long enough. Ran about 185 to 190 miles today.
Arrived about 5 p.m. and then the fun began. The dockage was very tight and I was very nervous. (What a surprise eh?) I had no idea that this boat had 4 steps down to the swim platform. I'm sure they were installed enroute and no one bothered to tell me. When I found them we were in the middle of our approach to the dock and I was falling down to the swim platform. After I tried to compose myself I got up and tried to help dock. It hurt like HELL.
Poor Craig was wonderful....he was very sweet and discovered he can handle docking without much help from me. I am quite black and blue, but they are my favorite colors so it works for me. At least there is nothing broken. The ironic thing is we got a call from Rob and he fell down the stairs at his new house and was in the ER. Runs in the family.
Met up with Ward and Ingrid and had drinks on the boat and then out to dinner. It was nice to see them and I guess we all needed one another tonight. That's what friends are for eh??
So until next time we continue to look for smooth water, sunshine and cheap fuel. Hugs, ML

Captains notes; boat running good. In good water running 2400 RPMS and 25kts. Fuel usage is 20 gallons per hour per engine. Prices are still over $3/ gallon, since they are using up the expensive last loads. Marinas are empty and the season is definitely over. Untrained help or no help at all.
Weather looks to be turning bad for 3/4 days so we're snugged in up against the wall. In addition to great friends Frankfort is one block from the boat and Jacobson Marina is a full service facility with club house. I can think of a lot worst places to ride out bad weather.
The days have been long, but you run when the water is smooth. We are way ahead of schedule so we'll wait until the first mate gives the word to pull anchor and leave...maybe Wed. Reports have waves building from 3 feet to 8 to 10 feet in the next couple of days. Not our kind of boating.

2 Comments:

Blogger bgcurler said...

Glad you are making good time. Hopefully things smooth out a little better for you.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Rob and Karen said...

Turns out I am a-ok (for anyone who was concerned!) Looks like the $50,000 mom and dad spent on milk while I was growing up was money well spent...the x-ray tech said I had "great bones"!

Rob

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home